I have never met a divorced couple that doesn’t have issues with each other. With divorce can come intense resentment that stays with one or both of the people for a long time, sometimes forever, but hopefully fades with time. With divorce can come anger, bitterness, jealousy, and badmouthing of an ex to friends, family, or the worst, kids. But some men and women take the resentment and anger they have for their spouse to another level: a level that is lower than the lowest of the low, the scum of the earth, and they exhibit some of the most despicable, disgusting behavior imaginable. I am referring to the vindictive ex.
The vindictive ex, like every other divorced person has resentment, anger and bitterness, but the difference between he or she and a normal person is, he or she has a burning desire to punish or harm their ex. In other words, they want revenge and they will stop at nothing to destroy their former spouse to “get even.”
Here are some real life examples of a vindictive ex. These are TRUE STORIES!
1. A woman told me her ex-husband put anti-fungal cream on her toothbrush. (they were separated but still living in the same house.)
2. Another woman said her ex-husband loosened her breaks so that they would fail. Their children were in the car with her when it happened.
3. A man’s vindictive ex-wife is trying to make a case that her former husband sexually abused their child. She has also put it in the heads of their children. The woman was quoted as saying to her ex, “You’re going to get what you deserve.”
5. A woman told her children “Your father doesn’t want me or you guys anymore. He has moved on.”
The vindictive ex is a planner. A manipulator. A liar. He or she spends time scheming and concocting a strategy to destroy their ex because that is the only way they know how to deal with their hurt and anger. Here are some possible outcomes of the vindictive ex:
1. They ruin an innocent person’s life, by either injuring that person or causing legal issues for him or her. By the way, when I say innocent, I’m not saying the person was an angel in the marriage or in the divorce. He or she could have been a real jerk and done unspeakably unforgivable things. However, does that mean that the person deserves to have lies made up about them? Or that they deserve to die in a car accident?
2. They ruin their children’s lives. Is a kid better off with a dead mom than a mom that dad hates? Children’s minds can be manipulated so easily, especially by the people they trust most—their parents. So, if mom is telling them that dad is a sex offender, they are most likely going to be confused by it, and become afraid of their parent, when in reality, what they need most during and after a divorce is to feel intense love and attention from both parents. So, the vindictive ex is taking a parent away from their children. In other words, they are destroying their children’s lives because their hate for the ex is stronger than the love for their kids. This falls under the category of parental alienation, when one parent tries to turn the kids against the other parent because of personal hatred.
3. They ruin themselves. I have to believe a vindictive ex will at some point feel intense guilt by the cruel, destructive behavior or the lies they told.
What I want to say to the vindictive ex is, shame on you. You disgust me. You are very sick and you need help. Badly.
To the parent who is the victim of lies or who fears for their life, I want to say a few things. First of all, don’t be afraid to file a restraining order if you feel unsafe. This is not overly dramatic or unnecessary. This is your life. And if God forbid something happens to you, a court of law has a very big first step in convicting your ex. Secondly, if you think about it, anyone can makeup lies about anyone, hire an attorney and try to sue you or take your children away from you. That person can call the police and say, “My ex wife is physically abusing our son.” Or “My ex husband sexually molested my daughter.”
It’s very scary that it can come down to his or her word against yours, and it can cost tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) to defend yourself in a court of law. So, if you are in a position where someone is making up lies about you, definitely consult with an attorney. Start with your divorce attorney and see what he or she says.
Lastly, just remember that God is our final judge, so don’t turn around and become vindictive also. You are too good for that. The vindictive ex will get what he or she deserves, not by you, but by karma and other life happenings that you can’t or won’t control. Just be you, be the best parent you can be, and keep moving forward with YOUR life. Let your vindictive ex wallow in his or her lies and deceit. Trust me, the vindictive ex hates him or herself a lot more than he or she hates you.
Like this post? Check out: “How to recover from divorce: Stop playing the victim”