Anyone who knows me knows I’m a crier. I think crying is healthy and much needed at times. For me, if I release tears and emotion, it feels cleansing. It helps me deal with whatever the problem is, and start to move on. In other words, after I cry, I tell myself, “Okay, you’ve grieved about it, you’ve felt sorry for yourself, you’ve wallowed in it. Now, get strong, figure out how you’re going to deal with it, and then move on.”
But I think women sometimes like to cry just to cry. Happy tears or tears of emotion. It just feels good. I am specifically talking about crying at the movies. These kinds of cries are great because you get to feel so much sadness and it’s not actually happening to YOU! Or, you get to cry because you’re happy for the characters.
So, with that said, here are 10 movie scenes that will surely have you flowing like a faucet!
1. The Prince of Tides: Picture this. Nick Nolte (unbelievably hot in this movie) is driving over a bridge in the last scene of The Prince of Tides. He looks happy, at peace, healed if you will. And his voice over says, “Lowenstein…Lowenstein…” of the therapist and woman he fell in love with. My eyes fill with tears every single time I watch that. Why couldn’t he have ended up with Barbra?!
2. Sex and The City: Carrie and Big are walking out of the court house and he says to her, “Wouldn’t it be nice to have your friends here?” and she says, “Yeah.” And then he says, “That’s why I called them.” Carrie’s three best friends then swarm her with hugs. Adorable.
3. Sex and the City (the series finale): And while we’re talking about Sex and the City, I couldn’t resist putting the last episode of the series on this list. I know it’s not a movie, but the scene on the bridge in Paris where Big says to Carrie, “You’re the one,” makes me sob every time I see it. This is the line every girl wants to hear!
4. When Harry Met Sally: “It’s not because I’m lonely and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve,” says Billy Crystal to Meg Ryan, “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” And Meg Ryan says, “You see Harry, you come here and you make it impossible for me to hate you. And I hate you Harry. I really hate you.” And then they kiss and I start crying every single time.
5. Something’s Gotta Give: “I’m 63 years old and for the first time in my life I’m in love,” says Jack Nicolson to Diane Keaton on a bridge in Paris. I believe it’s the same bridge where Big told Carrie she was the one. And the two shows came out right around the same time (2003 I believe). Anyhow, when Harry finally declares his love to Erica, it’s a huge tear jerker!
6. Jerry MaGuire: This is a no brainer. “You complete me,” says Tom Cruise. “Shut up. You had me at hello,” replies Renee Zellweger. Need I say more? I think this is Zellweger’s best role in her career. Tom Cruise, too.
7. Titanic: How could Jack have died after all they went through?! “You must do me this honor,” says Jack when he realizes he’s going to die, “You must promise me that you’ll survive.” “I’ll never let go,” says Rose. The entire theater was sobbing. I still cry every time I see it.
8. Love Story: I know you think I’m going to talk about the scene where Ali McGraw is dying, but I think the saddest scene is when Ryan O’Neal sees his dad in the lobby of the hospital and tells him that Jenny is dead. The reason for the tears is because we all want Ryan to find comfort in the arms of his father and he just doesn’t. Painful!
9. Forrest Gump: “I love you Forrest,” says Tom Hanks to his son, right before the kid gets on the bus. The bus pulls away and there sits Forrest, grateful for his son but still grieving the loss of the love of his life. Overwhelming emotional!!
10. An Officer and a Gentleman: How much more romantic does it get than when Zack Mayo walks into the factory, picks up his girl and carries her out of the place, while everyone claps, including the girl’s mother? When Paula takes the cap off of Zack and puts in on her head, I always find myself smiling, as tears are streaming down my face. She got her guy!! How much better does it get than that??!
I’m sure I forgot a million movies, so feel free to let me know what movie scenes make YOU cry!